Friday 28 November 2014

‘I’m not calling myself the best actor ever’ - BARUN SOBTI


As Barun Sobti’s debut film nears release after a delay of 18 months, he reveals why he quit TV, and why he is confident of his abilities

After a successful run on TV, Barun Sobti decided to quit the industry around 2012 when he got an offer to make his Bollywood acting debut. Since then, he has been awaiting the release of his film.

Now, over a year later, it will hit theatres next month. In the meantime, Barun has signed two other films, including one John Abraham production. Here, he talks about his delayed debut, why he quit TV, and more.


Were you expecting your debut film to get stalled for so long?

Films take time. After the shooting, there are other things that need to be done. There were also some date issues. I was excited about shooting for the film, but now I am just anxious about the release and the response.

While waiting for your debut movie to release, you shot for two other films. Are you afraid that your absence from TV and the limelight, in general, might lead to an out-of-sight-out-ofmind situation?


I’m not saying I am the best actor ever, but I am confident of my abilities, and so are the makers of the film I am working on. My work should speak, not being spotted on Page 3. I didn’t feel the need to jog the public’s memory or keep making appearances. As for TV, I stayed away from daily soaps deliberately because they demand hard work.

Is that why you quit TV?


I didn’t leave TV for films; I left it due to my health issues. I wasn’t keeping well, and I was losing weight due to the long working hours. But that doesn’t mean I am averse to TV. People think so, but I am not graduating into anything. Neither am I trying to make or break an image.

There are a lot of TV actors who will soon be seen making their Bollywood debuts. What do you think of this trend?

It’s a good time for everyone, and I am glad I am here at this time. There was a time when one couldn’t dream of being an actor if they weren’t well-connected or they weren’t a star kid. But today, people are willing to take a chance with TV actors.

0 comments:

Post a Comment