Friday 28 November 2014

‘I hate being the centre of attention’ - BARUN SOBTI

The heartthrob of Indian television is making his debut on the silver screen with rom-com Main and Mr Riight and John Abraham’s production venture Satrah Ko Shaadi Hai.


Barun Sobti is a heartthrob of Indian television. He created history when days after his announcement of “moving on” from television and quitting his famous tele-series Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon show, thousands of his fans forced the broadcasting channel to shut it almost overnight.

Well, now audiences will get to see Sobti on the 70 mm screen as he makes his Bollywood debut with Main Aur Mr Riight. Shenaz Treasurywala will be seen paired opposite him. Talking about his upcoming release Barun shares, “It’s an urban love story which revolves around this girl who dreams of finding Mr Right. Aliya Raj (Shenaz) is a casting agent who has a vivid imagination that Mr Right will be a guy out of a fairy tale, a knight in shining armour who will come riding a white horse, etc. Soon the hero, Sukhi, enters her life. But unlike her dream man, this boy is a typical crude and complete dehati fellow who is a wannabe model/actor. The movie largely showcases how perceptions change and love looks beyond all inhibitions.”

When quizzed about what kind of homework did he do to portray a wannabe model, he shares, “Playing this character actually brought back memories from when I came to Mumbai for the first time. Before I started working in television, I auditioned for various advertisements. By nature, I am very shy and have an introvert kind of a personality. I hate being the centre of attention. So, back then I used to just sit and watch people go through the process. During those days, I remember that I went to at least 50-60 auditions. I used to observe all the other boys who overcame their inner fear and would go out of their way to show that they were so cool. Hence, for this particular role, I took all those memories from the past to portray Sukhi. He is a loud Punjabi wannabe actor and model.”

How does he feel about his transition from television to 70 mm? “Nai yaar, I don’t feel there is any transition. The Indian television industry is looking up. If you see in the US, the TV industry is far bigger and better than American cinema. Initially there was a bridge of sorts. But now I think actors from both the sides like working in both the media.”

After Main aur Mr Riight, Barun is looking forward to John Abhram’s production venture Satrah Ko Shaadi Hai directed by TV scriptwriter Arshad Sayeed, co-starring newbie Sapna Pabbi, who was last seen as Anil Kapoor’s daughter in the mini-series 24.

Informing about it, he shares, “It’s a very promising movie and I loved working with John. The film is about the five days of wedding and how the lead characters’ match is at the mercy of a bunch of relatives.”

Lastly, talking about his movie choices, he asserts, “Right from the time I started out, I have just focused on the script and have associated myself with movies that are heavy on content so that when people see, they know that it’s a good movie. I love doing intense characters because it has always been my forte. Also I got to know one thing that comedy is tough to pull out. It’s really heart breaking when people don’t laugh at your jokes. So, yeah I’ll stick to intense roles for now.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment